Saturday, July 16, 2011

Family Rules Sign

I fell in love with the following signs at a local boutique shop in town.




I went into the store and found that they were created by a woman named Kristi in Leesburg, VA. She has the most adorable typography signs, and Etsy shop. Her business is called Barn Owl Primitives.

Her Family Rules Sign was my inspiration for my latest project.
My total investment was $10, and 3 hours.
Supplies included:
the other half of the plywood piece
 (that I used for THIS project)
Primer
Red and Green Craft Paint
Glaze
Foam Brushes
Letter Stickers

I started with primed plywood

Together as a family, we came up with "OUR LIST" of twelve Family rules

It was a beautiful day out, so I decided to do this project outside on the deck.

I measured the wood, and divided by the 12 rules so that I would have even spacing between line.





Then, I cut out sticker letters for each phrase and laid everything out on the wood.




Next, I peeled and stuck each letter onto the board.
( If I make another one of these, I may just use carbon paper and transfer the text onto the wood..This was a very time consuming part of this project.)




***Make yourself a note***
If there is a breeze while you are trying to place hundreds of cut out letters onto a wooden board, it's smart to use a magazine to hold down the "loose letters" so that they don't end up all over the yard or between the deck slats...not that I would know this from experience or anything..grrrrrrr.

I painted over the entire board with green craft paint using a 2" foam brush, and made uneven strokes.



When this was dry, I went over the green with red craft paint, leaving some of the green to show through, giving it an aged look.




When the paint was dry, I carefully peeled each letter away, while watching "Annie" on tv, since the 80 degree day turned into a humid 94 pretty quickly, and I moved the project indoors!




The words are very bright white at this point, and since I was going for an aged look, I covered the entire sign with the left over glaze from my American Flag project and then wiped off the excess glaze.

I placed a picture hanging hook on the back, and put a nail in the wall...and viola,

Here's the finished project!!!





Linking up to:





Cherished Treasures”=


LookWhatMomFound...and Dad too!Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special


UndertheTableandDreaming

13 comments:

  1. Great project! Good idea to use the peel and stick letters and then paint over them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ang, I love this! It turned out so great. If I can muster the motivation, I'm stealing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out great! Sorry about that wind, though ;-) Thanks for your kind comment on my green table and chairs. Would you believe I paid about $17 for the whole set? I think the fabric for two chairs cost that much!
    P.S. I would love if you would link up an e-mail to your profile--it would make answering questions simpler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ang, this was such a clever idea! Also, I LOVE that red dresser in the final picture. The whole space looks great! Just came across your blog and I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies! It was a pretty rewarding and simple project!! MaryEllen- do it!! Korrie- I set up a gmail account and added to my About me Section, Jena- thanks for becoming a follower, the red dresser is my pride and joy! It's the first piece of furniture that I bought at a thrift store and re-finished. I wish that I would have taken before pics to show how horrible it started out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the subway art too but they always want so much money...Your's turned out fantastic! You did a wonderful job!! Thanks for linking up last weekend, I'll be featuring you this weekend so I hope you come back and show another project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ang,
    I'm doing a link up party on August 1. It's for meal-planning made easy. I would love for you to link up a recipe, meal planning tips or anything else you want to share that would go with the topic.

    My Saturday post has the details. Hope you're well.

    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your project looks great, too. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the paint colors you chose and the stickers are genius!! I featured your sign on this week's Terrific Under Ten Tuesday!
    http://athomewithk.blogspot.com/2011/07/terrific-under-ten-tuesday-24.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this project! You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the sign. I've been wanting a sign with my favorite Bible verse to put over my tv, but don't want to pay a fortune. I now may be able to make one by myself. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this!! You put so much time and creativity into everything you do!!

    ReplyDelete