Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Wooden American Flag




4th of July is my favorite Holiday.
The colors, 
The weather, 
The Patriotism, 
The parties, 
parades, fireworks, and the American Flag!

Here's my attempt at a rustic handmade American Flag!

Supplies
Piece of plywood Square, bought at Home Depot for $5
White Primer
Red and Blue Craft paint
Painters Blue Tape
Star Stickers
Paint Brush
Glaze (Clear, tinted as you like)

I started with the square sheet of plywood and cut it in half.
then I primed it white.
It's been soo hot here, it was completely dry in less then an hour.

I then added my stripes and stars section by
 using painters tape.
This is just decorative, yes, 
I know that there are actually 13 stripes on the flag!!
(It was just easier using the entire width of tape vs.cutting it)

I painted my red stripes with craft paint, with three coats using a sponge brush. Easy peasy!


While the red was drying, I panic-ed since I wanted to complete this flag the same day, and I couldn't fin d the star stickers in my scrapbook supply stash. 

Sooo, instead of running to Michaels, I Googled star images, and printed them on mailing labels.

I patiently, grrr, cut out a batch of star stickers, and randomly placed them on the white square in the upper corner of my flag.

I painted the entire left corner over the star stickers with blue craft paint, and let dry.

Then I peeled the stickers off and it worked!!! I was so pleased that my homemade stickers did the trick!
The flag looked pretty, but I wanted it to look vintage and worn, and not off the shelf new.

So, I experienced my first time using glaze.

From reading blogs, I assumed that glaze was automatically a dark stainish color, but to my surprise, the glaze that I purchased needed to be mixed with a color.

So, again, I became resourceful, and mixed the glaze with orange, baby blue, and yellow craft paint to come up with a brownish/goldish glaze.

I painted the glaze on the flag, 
then wiped off with a paper towel.

I'm pretty happy with the outcome, 
a cute flag for a $5 investment!!


Linking up to

A Bowl Full of Lemons



Nothing But Country

Tip Junkie handmade projects

5 comments:

  1. It turned out great! Good idea printing the stars on mailing labels! It worked out great and you didn't have to run to the store. I hate having to make a trip to the store in the middle of a project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really great! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I'm going to "pin" it so that I remember it for next year.

    Thanks for commenting on my blog so that I could find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your wooden flag! I made one of these several years ago too- they are so charming!! Would love for you to come share this at Feathered Nest Friday at my blog sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete